Re: Red Hat 9

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 16:36, Kevin Waterson wrote:
> This one time, at band camp,
> Brent Fox <bfox@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Creating and releasing errata costs developer time, QA time,
> > documentation time, and RHN/FTP bandwidth.  Some people seem to be under
> > the impression that our cost of doing errata is zero, but it just isn't
> > so.  Our resources are not infinite, so we're going to do longer errata
> > support for the products that customers pay more for.
>
> I whole heartedly agree
>
> I am curious as to how the updates will be released?
> As this is open source, surely the source code must
> be available to all.
> How will this be handled?
>
> eg: If I have a 7.3 installation and the errata stops
> for public release. How then can updates be limited to
> paying customers only if the source code must be available
> under the GPL?

By the "products that customers pay more for", I mean the Enterprise
line.

We won't release errata or updates for 7.3 after the End Of Life period
arrives.  With the RHL line, there's no distinction between paying
customers and unpaid customers once the product goes EOL.  However, you
will most likely be able to find updated packages through community
sites like freshrpms.net.  They just won't be the official Red Hat
packages.  You can also download the SRPMS for the Enterprise line and
compile them yourself.

Or, like most of our users, you will upgrade to a more recent version of
RHL because the software improves so rapidly and you can do so for free.

It all comes down to this: Should we spend our time creating errata for
versions that are 18 months old or should we focus on creating new
features for the next release of RHL?  We think that it's best for us
and our users to focus on driving the RHL line forward as fast as we
can.  If you really need a version that you can run for 5 years, then
buy the Enterprise line and pay us for that level of service.

Cheers,
   Brent