Re: Red Hat 9

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 10:33:35 -0800, you wrote:

>Comparing Red Hat to MS is ridiculous.  As far as I can tell, Red Hats
>latest decisions, for which they've taken so much heat, are all the
>result of actually listening to their customers.

While I agree some of the decisions Red Hat has made have been
necessary and even good (even if Red Hat has screwed up the
implementation and public relations aspects of at least some of them)
they are also apparently ignoring a lot of their existing and (at
least until now) loyal customers.

I certainly can't recall messages on any of the Red Hat mailing lists
or any survey asking for Red Hat to price their Linux product at the
same price levels Microsoft charges, yet that is exactly what Red Hat
has done (and in at least 1 case when you extend the price over a 3 or
4 year lifetime of a product Red Hat is actually more expensive than
Microsoft).

The base Red Hat product line (8.0, 9, whatever next) is no longer
suitable for business or the average home user.  You cannot expect a
company or joe user to upgrade their operating system every year
(which is now necessary given the 12 month limit on bug/security
fixes).

To get a reasonable period of security fixes you have to move up to
the enterprise line of products, which starts at a minimum of twice
the price and has more restrictive licensing terms.

So your average person at home now has a choice of Windows XP at $300
or Red Hat Enterprise Workstation at $300 ($60 a year after the first
year for access to security fixes).  Guess what, XP comes with full
multimedia capabilities including MP3 and DVD, as well as a full range
of software available for purchase including games, tax software, etc.
Which would you choose?  And by the way, so far at least Microsoft
still offers free security fixes in the base price.