Re: [psyche] Re: Best way to update to RH9 from 8.0 ?

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:40:24 -0800, Raul Acevedo wrote
> I do very much the same thing: save everything in /etc, /root and /home
> to a separate drive that is untouched by the upgrade, then do a full
> install, formatting all partitions except /home.  I only do this on
> major x.0 releases; for x.y releases I just upgrade.
>
> It works very well.  It's nice because it keeps my system from
> accumulating too much cruft, which I've known to cause problems in
> the past when you update across several releases.

Of course, that does not really help all the applications one has installed
that are in /var or /usr (such as chkrootkit, spamassassin, wormscan, www
apps, and so on). Might as well start from scratch.