Re: Red Hat 9

Brent Fox wrote:

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 16:36, Kevin Waterson wrote:

This one time, at band camp,
Brent Fox <bfox@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

...snip...

By the "products that customers pay more for", I mean the Enterprise
line.

We won't release errata or updates for 7.3 after the End Of Life period
arrives.  With the RHL line, there's no distinction between paying
customers and unpaid customers once the product goes EOL.  However, you
will most likely be able to find updated packages through community
sites like freshrpms.net.  They just won't be the official Red Hat
packages.  You can also download the SRPMS for the Enterprise line and
compile them yourself.

Sounds reasonable if I can get the SRPMS using a regular entitlement.

Or, like most of our users, you will upgrade to a more recent version of RHL because the software improves so rapidly and you can do so for free.

As long as the programs I use have not been thrashed or tossed out.

It all comes down to this: Should we spend our time creating errata for versions that are 18 months old or should we focus on creating new features for the next release of RHL? We think that it's best for us and our users to focus on driving the RHL line forward as fast as we can. If you really need a version that you can run for 5 years, then buy the Enterprise line and pay us for that level of service.

We'll see on monday hopefully whether RH 9 is going forward or if it is a step sideways like RH 8. The look of the GUI has improved, but some things I liked about 7.3 were discarded, and in the past week I have had my Corel Office and FileMaker Pro stopped working thanks to the glibc update that was not warned about breaking wine. My boss is pissed about that, I just hope he doesn't make me put windows on my workstation before wine is fixed. Good thing I had been saving in Word/Excel formats other wise Open Office would not have come to the rescue of the Corel Office loss.

Cheers,
  Brent