Re: Red Hat 9

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 09:38:11AM +1100, Kevin Waterson wrote:
> This one time, at band camp,
> Brent Fox <bfox@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > We won't release errata or updates for 7.3 after the End Of Life period
> > arrives.  With the RHL line, there's no distinction between paying
> > customers and unpaid customers once the product goes EOL.
>
> Ok, so if 9.0 goes EOL, I cannot get updates unless I use the
> Enterprise line

There is no 9.0.  There is only 9.

There is no guarantee that any Enterprise product will be compatible
with 9.

> > If you really need a version that you can run for 5 years, then
> > buy the Enterprise line and pay us for that level of service.
>
> Across our network this could be quite expensive, with approx 600
> installations, more on that later. What I cannot see, is how you
> can be offering updates to the Enterprise line, without making
> the source available. Perhaps I am missing something bleeding
> obvious here.

The obvious part is that the source code is currently available.  It
does not have to be made available to everyone in the future - just
to those who request it from those who purchased the binaries.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx