Re: Postfix (was Re: Mozilla & Sound)

---------- Original Message -----------
From: Keith Winston <kwinston@twmi.rr.com>
To: psyche-list@redhat.com
Sent: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 14:20:53 -0500
Subject: Re: Postfix (was Re: Mozilla & Sound)

> Mike Vanecek wrote:
>
>  >I assume /etc/rc.d/init.d/postfix start/stop works?
>
> Yes.
>
>  >Two quick questions:
>  >
>  >I assume that I have to turn this on to use procmail?  Anything else
>  >that I
>  >need to worry about with postfix and procmail?
>  >
>  >#mailbox_command = /some/where/procmail
>  >#mailbox_command = /some/where/procmail -a "$EXTENSION"
>
> You don't have to set the mailbox_command option to use procmail.  If
> you create a $HOME/.forward file with something like this:
>
> |exec /usr/bin/procmail
>
> Then, postfix will honor it and forward mail to procmail.  If you use
> the mailbox_command, then it forces postfix to use procmail to deliver
> ALL local mail, not just for certain users.  You need to decide which
> you prefer.

If I use the .forward approach above, and have a .procmailrc file in the
user's home directory, will the procmailrc then me processed?  I am not quite
sure what impact of making a call to procmail from the forward file has for
the user.

Is the following correct?

Postfix sees the .forward file that starts procmail. Procmail starts and looks
in $HOME/.procmailrc (and most likely /etc/procmailrc) and does its thing.
Once the mail is processed, procmail goes away until that user receives email
again. Not a bad approach.

However, if one wants to use spamd with all users, then having procmail
running to process individual .procmailrc calls to spamdc might make more sense?

>  >If someone is using RH 8 Postfix, would they please confirm that these
>  >are the bottom two lines in /etc/postfix/main.cf:

> Here are the last 4 lines of the original Red Hat installed main.cf on
> my system:
> # readme_directory: The location of the Postfix README files.
> #
> readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-1.1.11/README_FILES
> alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases

Thank you very much. I had seen the alias_database at the end and thought I
had zapped something. I moved it up with the rest, but then got to wondering
if my cut/paste got carried away.

Best wishes, Mike.