Re: Mozilla & Sound

---------- Original Message -----------
From: Dave Sherman <dsherman@real-time.com>
To: "RedHat 8.0" <psyche-list@redhat.com>
Sent: 12 Jan 2003 13:49:19 -0600
Subject: Re: Mozilla & Sound

> On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 10:54, Mike Vanecek wrote:
> > I have thought about 1.2.1. I have read that one needs to remove 1.0.1 first.
> > What happens to all the plug-in additions (plugger, java!!!, and so on) when
> > one rpm -e 1.0.1? I have a ton of work to get those plug-ins to work.
> >
> > Also, I have read that 1.2.1 and java on RH 8 are not real compatible because
> > of gcc library differences. It is critical to me for the java plug-in to work.
>
> One of the first things I did after installing RedHat 8, was to
> "upgrade" Mozilla to 1.2.1 -- piece of cake. Just make sure you install
> it to a new directory (I used /usr/lib/mozilla-1.2.1/ ), then copy the
> files from /usr/lib/mozilla-1.0.1/plugins/ to the plugins directory in
> the new Mozilla install directory. After that, you can remove the old
> Mozilla.
>
> In fact, I installed the xft-enabled RedHat rpms, and it looks
> beautiful! I had forgotten how nice it is to have anti-aliased fonts
> when browsing the web. Java works perfectly, as do my other plugins like
> Flash. And 1.2.1 has been very stable for me, too, in spite of the
> warnings at the Mozilla website about using the xft-enabled version.

OK, thanks, I will take a look at it. Knowing to install it in a different
directory will save me a bunch of time.

I thought I would just get

rpm -ivh mozilla-nspr-1.2.1-0_rh8_xft.i386.rpm
rpm -ivh mozilla-1.2.1-0_rh8_xft.i386.rpm

since all I need is a browser. However, I am a little unclear on this one, but
if I use the rpms, won't it install in the directory specified when the rpm
was created? I guess I could copy the plugins to a temp directory and then do
the install.

Thanks.