Re: Mozilla & Sound

On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 10:54, Mike Vanecek wrote:
> I have thought about 1.2.1. I have read that one needs to remove 1.0.1 first.
> What happens to all the plug-in additions (plugger, java!!!, and so on0 when
> one rpm -e 1.0.1? I have a ton of work to get those plug-ins to work.
>
> Also, I have read that 1.2.1 and java on RH 8 are not real compatible because
> of gcc library differences. It is critical to me for the java plug-in to work.

One of the first things I did after installing RedHat 8, was to
"upgrade" Mozilla to 1.2.1 -- piece of cake. Just make sure you install
it to a new directory (I used /usr/lib/mozilla-1.2.1/ ), then copy the
files from /usr/lib/mozilla-1.0.1/plugins/ to the plugins directory in
the new Mozilla install directory. After that, you can remove the old
Mozilla.

In fact, I installed the xft-enabled RedHat rpms, and it looks
beautiful! I had forgotten how nice it is to have anti-aliased fonts
when browsing the web. Java works perfectly, as do my other plugins like
Flash. And 1.2.1 has been very stable for me, too, in spite of the
warnings at the Mozilla website about using the xft-enabled version.

--
Dave Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, CCNA