Re: Postfix (was Re: Mozilla & Sound)

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Mike Vanecek wrote:

> [...]

[some snippage occurred here]

> > You don't have to set the mailbox_command option to use procmail.  If
> > you create a $HOME/.forward file with something like this:
> >
> > |exec /usr/bin/procmail
> >
> > Then, postfix will honor it and forward mail to procmail.  If you use
> > the mailbox_command, then it forces postfix to use procmail to deliver
> > ALL local mail, not just for certain users.  You need to decide which
> > you prefer.
>
> If I use the .forward approach above, and have a .procmailrc file in the
> user's home directory, will the procmailrc then me processed?  I am not quite
> sure what impact of making a call to procmail from the forward file has for
> the user.
>
> Is the following correct?
>
> Postfix sees the .forward file that starts procmail. Procmail starts and looks
> in $HOME/.procmailrc (and most likely /etc/procmailrc) and does its thing.
> Once the mail is processed, procmail goes away until that user receives email
> again. Not a bad approach.

AFAIK, postfix doesn't care about .forwards.  This is strictly a procmail
thingie.  And, AFAIK, the .forward is not strictly required anymore to
have .procmailrc become effective.   Postfix hands the message to
procmail. Procmail then executes instructions, sorry recipes, based on
entries in /etc/procmailrc and then /etc/$HOME/.procmailrc.

> However, if one wants to use spamd with all users, then having procmail
> running to process individual .procmailrc calls to spamdc might make more sense?

If you have 50,000 users on a system this might tend to consume a
significant amount of ram.  Like most daemons, spamd runs in memory and
spawns a child process when requested by some calling program such as
procmail.  When I first started using spamassassin, I did it sans spamd
and the process load is significant even on a lightly loaded server.  (5K
to 10K messages per day).

> >  >If someone is using RH 8 Postfix, would they please confirm that these
> >  >are the bottom two lines in /etc/postfix/main.cf:
>
> > Here are the last 4 lines of the original Red Hat installed main.cf on
> > my system:
> > # readme_directory: The location of the Postfix README files.
> > #
> > readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-1.1.11/README_FILES
> > alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases

Yep.

> Thank you very much. I had seen the alias_database at the end and thought I
> had zapped something. I moved it up with the rest, but then got to wondering
> if my cut/paste got carried away.
>
> Best wishes, Mike.

The list is quite active and not terribly hostile, though references to
RTFM are routinely made.