Re: Upgrading to 2.4.20 Linux Kernel

** Reply to message from Michael Griffis <mgriffis@griffisconsulting.com> on Mon, 13 Jan 2003 18:52:20 -0700

> Hello ...
>
> Has anyone had any luck upgrading to the 2.4.20 kernel in RH8?
>
> If so ...
>
> a) What method did you use to do so?  Download from kernel.org and
> compile or did you find some RPMs ...
>
> b) Any words of wisdom?  Lessons learned?

If you haven't done a kernel compile before, you may want to do some googling around for the compile how-tos out there. It isn't much of a mystery. The important thing is to get a working .config file, either by using the xconfig or menuconfig scripts before starting the compile process. I'm running the latest Marcelo 2.4.21-pre3 with zero problems (other than the occasional mysterious lockups which date back to 2.4.18).

> I know that there is an RPM for kernel-2.4.20-2.2 on the redhat network
> site ... but it says that it is for Red Hat Linux Beta (Phoebe) i386.
>
> Does anyone know if I can use this to upgrade my kernel in 8.0

Highly doubtful. This RH kernel is patched for many things including interoperability with the nptl-enhanced glibc used in Phoebe.

jb

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: jbinpg@shaw.ca