Re: reiser4 inclusion and beyond

Dear Mat,
Christian Stroetmann OntoLab <stroetmann <at> ontolab.com> writes:

Dear Alli;
On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 10:15 PM, Christian Stroetmann OntoLab
<stroetmann <at> ontolab.com> wrote:
Dear Alli,
Well, as you noted at the end of your reply, it is polite to reply to
answers. Maybe you can be the one to start.

What am I doing since months?

Hi guys,

as an outsider let me try to explain what "OntoFS" is all about (from what I
understood):

what Christian with OntoLab and other companies or organizations are doing here
is basic research and putting that research to practice:
Research & Development yielding in real products, eg. Linux based distributions.
"OntoFS" shall become a kind of versioning file system
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versioning_file_system) based on reiser4 (or
another filesystem if it's not possible to use it). This in some way follows
Hans' vision of developing a filesystem in which everything is a file and whose
life can be tracked (to simplify it really roughly).
It is a really very rough description of one small facet.
On the other hand it shall also become an "ontological" filesystem
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontology_%28information_science%29) with which
files can be managed directly on the filesystem level.
The descriptions in the wikipedia are partly misleading in a criminal sense. There really are to many bandwagon jumpers. So I have to say: Sorry, but as the founder of this subject I would like to describe it myself.
 If I recall correctly
another of Hans' visions was to use reiser4 as kind of database-filesystem which
more and more today could become reality in association with ontology and the
so-called semantic Web or (on a simpler level)
Mr. Reiser has described the first half of the vision. With (the real) OntoFS the other half came to this game, especially the Semantic (World Wide) Web items. Mr.Reiser didn't use concepts like RDF or OWL. That's exactlly one of my inventions in the context of R4, which I made public and by this useable under the GPL.
 semantic desktop (?) (see kde 4).
This step was stolen from my OntoLinux website. Before I decided to take KDE there was no decision made by the Semantic Desktop.org research group to focus on KDE. (Mat you understood this wrong, who was first and who was second.) The other ideas taken by the Semantic Desktop.org from the OntoLinux website were to follow my steps, which are based on the well know concepts that in Unix everything is a file and that metadata is data. To give it the rest, the persons in the Semantic Desktop.org group tried to steal my concept and to get into the first place by defining an ontology for files. The difference between OntoLinux and Semantic Desktop are now: OntoLinux is a full Linux based distribution with many other progressive features based on an ontological file/storage system, which is based on R4. Semantic Desktop is at the core an ontology-based clone. That means with the further development of R4 named OntoFS there is no need to use a special ontology. And if still persons think it is rude to talk about OntoFS in this mailing-list, then I would like to give the advices: 1. Try to get and read the vision for the next generation of R4 by Mr. Reiser. 2. See above.
In this regard reiser4' plugin architecture should be really helpful in order to
add more and more functionality.
Yes, but now with the real OntoFS in the ontological and ontology-based sense.
DISCLAIMER:
I'm not affiliated with ontolab and as an outsider my description doesn't
necessarily have to describe the status or intentions of "OntoFS" accurately
Sorry Mat, but there are many things to say, which really will go out of the scope of this mailing-list.
for more information have a look at:
* https://picoforge.int-evry.fr/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Ontofs/Web/OntofsIntro
(you can use translate.google.com to translate it into english from vietnamese)
This was a nasty try to steal my concept. I would like to give interested persons the advice to follow the links given in the Semantic File/Storage System section on the Software links webpage of the OntoLinux webpage. Especially you should look at: Pass - Provenace Aware Storage Systems. With the real OntoFS there is no need to use KBDB - In-Kernel Berkeley Database, because it is based on R4. (Mat I really don't know why you named this project. It is one of many annoying clones.)
* http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~syrah/pass/
* and the corresponding wikipedia entries about ontology, semantic web, etc.
Yes, but once again: The content of the wikipedia is subjective and in some parts misleading and manipulating.
Greetings

Mat

Have fun
Christian *<:o)