Re: reiser4 inclusion?

Christian Stroetmann OntoLab <stroetmann <at> ontolab.com> writes:

> Dear Alli;
> > On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 10:15 PM, Christian Stroetmann OntoLab
> > <stroetmann <at> ontolab.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Dear Alli,

> >> What am I doing since months?

Hi guys,

as an outsider let me try to explain what "OntoFS" is all about (from what I
understood):

what Christian with OntoLab and other companies or organizations are doing here
is basic research and putting that research to practice:

"OntoFS" shall become a kind of versioning file system
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versioning_file_system) based on reiser4 (or
another filesystem if it's not possible to use it). This in some way follows
Hans' vision of developing a filesystem in which everything is a file and whose
life can be tracked (to simplify it really roughly).

On the other hand it shall also become an "ontological" filesystem
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontology_%28information_science%29) with which
files can be managed directly on the filesystem level. If I recall correctly
another of Hans' visions was to use reiser4 as kind of database-filesystem which
more and more today could become reality in association with ontology and the
so-called semantic Web or (on a simpler level) semantic desktop (?) (see kde 4).
In this regard reiser4' plugin architecture should be really helpful in order to
add more and more functionality.

DISCLAIMER:
I'm not affiliated with ontolab and as an outsider my description doesn't
necessarily have to describe the status or intentions of "OntoFS" accurately

for more information have a look at:
* https://picoforge.int-evry.fr/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Ontofs/Web/OntofsIntro
(you can use translate.google.com to translate it into english from vietnamese)
* http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~syrah/pass/
* and the corresponding wikipedia entries about ontology, semantic web, etc.

Greetings

Mat