Re: Objects

On 7/31/07, Nathan Nobbe <quickshiftin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 7/31/07, Richard Lynch <ceo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Or, in my experience with pattern zealots, mis-recognize a problem as
> > a pattern it isn't, mis-apply the "solution" and then spend years
> > dealing with a square peg in a round hole...
>
> The funny thing about that is w/ OOP and design patterns you can fit square
> pegs
> in round holes!  its called the Adapter pattern :-P

I thought the same thing. ;)

> feel sorry for Richard; if youd ever seen a successful implementation of
> design patterns in the wild
> well you would probly feel like i do...  gotta have em :)

I doubt it.  People grow comfortable with what they know and don't
want/need to change.  I started out using procedual style but I always
kept saying to myself, "There's got to be a better way."  Luckily I
eventually found it in OOP.  I've seen a lot of great procedual code
too though.  There isn't anything wrong with it at all.  I just don't
want to try and maintain it anymore since I'm in a different mindset
now.

OOP isn't going to save anyone though.  It seems almost easier to
shoot yourself in the foot with OOP using things like "extends"
instead of composition, singletons, etc.