Re: Objects

On Tue, July 31, 2007 8:40 am, Eric Butera wrote:
> On 7/31/07, Nathan Nobbe <quickshiftin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> feel sorry for Richard; if youd ever seen a successful
>> implementation of
>> design patterns in the wild
>> well you would probly feel like i do...  gotta have em :)

This post is a result of SEVERAL recent emails I've received, and is
not directed SOLELY at the OP.

WHY do people ASSUME that a poster has never actually tried X, just
because they don't like it?!

I do not understand this attitude.

It's particularly annoying when I specifically state that I *have*
suffered through several implementation of design patterns in the wild
(or whatever it is that somebody ASSUMES I have not investigated).

In my experience, things go great at first, until they fall apart
under their own bloat, and patterns are mis-applied by Junior
Programmers who don't really understand what they are doing, and
requirements change, but the quick-hack "pattern" which no longer fits
the foot is still being used as a shoe simply because that's the way
it always has been, and...

After 25 years of coding, I think it's safe to say that you're not
going to "wow" me with anything all that new and nifty about any
technology/idea that has been around for more than 1 year. I've
already seen it, I've evaluated it, and am extremely unlikely to
suddenly wake up and say "Yeah, I'd LOVE to wear a size 9 shoe on my
size 12 foot!" [*]

But telling me I should try something I've already said I evaluated
and rejected is just downright rude, imho.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or pick a fight here, but am suggesting
list members think about this before they post.  Especially that whole
PHP-Editors thread, which always consists of one person from each camp
posting their favorite editor, which is about as useless as it gets...

ymmv
naiaa

* Which I actually had to do one time for about a half-hour when I
bought a mis-matched pair of shoes.  It hurt.  A lot.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?