Re: Objects

tedd,

have you looked at the book we're talking about?
also, there are several other books on design patterns available, but the
Heads First book
is one ive heard mentioned a lot.
you can check out a really sweet site online phppatterns.com; in particular
follow the design
link on the right hand navigation.  if youve been working w/ objects for
more than a few months
design patterns should expose their benefit almost immediately.  it boils
down to a really simple
premise, see, i have been writing code for o, about 3 years and getting paid
for it.  i studied oop
a bit in college for about another 3 years and tinkered w/ them in high
school for probly less than
a year.  well after all that i can still write some pretty weak code.
yes, my code may be clean, but in the greater scheme of things how well will
it scale ?  does it need
to be modified when a new feature should be added ?  does it suffer from
dependency rot ?  in
many cases the answer to these questions is not the preferable one.  so
thats where the motivation for
design patterns comes from.  people who have been writing oop code for the
past 20-30 years or so decided
to start sharing their experiences with one another.  after a while they got
a big collection of dos and donts
together and put together common optimal solutions to common problems.
one of the hardest parts about using design patterns in reality is you have
to be able to recognize a certain
problem and then you can begin to understand how to apply a particular
pattern or set of patterns to your
solution.
also it is not merely about rigidly following the patterns.  there are also
design principals, that guide us in
writing code that doesnt suck.
it should be mentioned the authors of said book have a masters degree and
phd degree from yale in computer
science; thats right, they know a thing or 2.
anyway if you dont know design patterns you dont know what youre missing and
you probly dont know what
youre writing either :)

-nathan