Re: Objects

> On 7/31/07, Richard Lynch <ceo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Or, in my experience with pattern zealots, mis-recognize a problem as
> a pattern it isn't, mis-apply the "solution" and then spend years
> dealing with a square peg in a round hole...

The funny thing about that is w/ OOP and design patterns you can fit square
pegs
in round holes!  its called the Adapter pattern :-P
Any way the problem youre trying to pin on Design Patterns is a more general
problem
that applies to practically every walk of life; once you learn something in
theory you simply
cant be good at it until you have done it.
the same can be said for low level code and people just starting to program
professionally.
everyone makes mistakes, especially at first.  if youre learning patterns
well, you
will almost certainly make mistakes when trying to implement them in
reality.  it takes courage to
attempt to implement design patterns because its hard, and most people dont
know what youre
talking about, so you can barely communicate.
design patterns actually started out in the world of architecture, building
houses.  see, building houses
became building cities and people learned how to build cities the right way;
they wrote it down.
eventually it made its way into software.
more to the point of code, i have seen some really bad code.  ill tell you
honestly most php devs
ive met dont know much about oop let alone design patterns.  they end up
writing horrible
spaghetti code that is difficult to decipher and even more difficult to
maintain and extend.  i
feel sorry for Richard; if youd ever seen a successful implementation of
design patterns in the wild
well you would probly feel like i do...  gotta have em :)

-nathan