Re: Digital and out-of-work photographers and labs

Just to weigh in on this thread as a guy retrenching from general professional photography but a serious writer:

Digital photography and professional work is a sign of the times. If there's no money in standard photography, no appreciation for the craft, no specialization to separate you from the masses . . . invest in progress or do it for fun.

There's one French guy who makes apointments from some web site, travels across the US to make family and child's portraits; then he sells the platinum prints for $5,000 US EACH.

He gets an advance based on examples to pay for his trip, and gets advance payments before sending the finished print. I guess he previews them over the internet before people send the money for the final print; but he GETS it.

The reason I have no specific information comes from the fact that clients who visited the Carmel gallery some years ago, happy with his work told me about him. I can recall at least five of my clients at different times over the year and a half told me about him.

BTW we had lots of requests for 'nudes' that we didn't have in our gallery. The owners of second homes "definately not open for children guests," wanted unusual tasteful nudes on their wall.

Take that to Costco . . .
S. Shapiro