Re: SD card media

Howard:

: Hi Karl, having read the whole of your email, I suspect that digital
: basics for many people are a damned sight more confusing than
: "old-fashioned" film. Though admittedly I'm not sure what you mean by
: digital basics! :-)
: What would you and others regard as basic?

I've been scribbling a curriculum together recently, having seen what's on
offer.

Recalling the curriculum for basic photography (film), it seemed that
although the course I was involved with was a science course the stuff was
pretty fundamental to all areas of photography.  Admittedly not too many
wedding photogs might dabble in densitometry, but our students certainly
seemed to benefit from at least knowing about such things even if they were
forgotten shortly after passing their exams ;-)

here's what I've got to date as an outline.. in no particular order.  I'm
still pulling it apart and adding bits as I expound further into the
specifics. (ignore random capitalisations ;)

What is Digital photography?
The Media
Capture of Images
Files & Types
Origins in Video
Origins in Barcode Scanners
Printers & Scanners
Algorithms
General Computing
Researching
Computing & the Computer
Monitors and Video Cards
Calibration & Colour management
Editors & Interpreters

What is Digital photography? - discussion.

Media: Floppy disks (inc Zip, LS120, LS240), Hard Disk Drives,CD's,
VCD's,DVD's,DVD RAM, mmc, SD cards, Memory Sticks,  CF cards Microdrives,
PC Card drives, flash disks, NAND memory, optical media, magnetic media,
opto-magnetic media, etc..  pros and cons, uses, appropriateness, problems.
longevity, dye types.

Image Capture: CCD, CMOS.  AD conversion, bayer arrays, foveon sensors,
monochromatic sensors & filters

Data:  Archiving, recovering, encrypting, protecting, steganography, media
checking tools, data checking tools, data recovery tools, OS translation
tools.

File Types:  standards, compression, licenses (eg jpeg2000), containers,
image data, Editors (GUI and Command Line *)*more depth later. proprietry.

Video history: Video Still Cameras (digital cameras), History, trasitions
and tie-ins with Barcodes via AD converters

Barcode history: AD conversion

Scanners: Types - drum, flatbed, film.  Transmission & reflection.  PPI
(DPI) resolution, actual and interpreted. bit depth, IR filtration (dust
removal) Manufacter 'hype'.  light sources and the effect on gamma and
colour accuracy (cold cathode, Xenon, pulsed xenon, tungsten, white, RGB,
continuous and discontinuous)

Printers: DPI(printer dot resolution), PPI(Image reolution), Ink types,
RIPS (hard & soft) , algorithms, File ypes, languages (postscript etc),
Gamut.

Algorithms: appropriateness, types, effects, purposes.

General computing: computer maintenance, backup, archiving, directory
structures, operating systems.  The Internet.  navigation, programs,
protection (antivirus, firewalls) etc

Video Cards : 2D, 3D, purposes, frame rates, gaming, rendering, colour
accuracy, sharpness, compromises, settings, refresh rates, outputs (single,
dual, quad, split, mirrored), bitdepth, gamut

& Monitors: , Types: CRT, LCD, E-Ink, Plasma - future OLED & other.
Resolutions, hardware settings and  controls, Software modifications
(profiles) etc , pros cons.

calibration & colour management: ICC, Other.  purposes of calibration.
Methods, creation of profiles, Intent, gamut, creating from scratch, Colour
Matched Vs subjective.  Photographic intent Vs graphic intent (pantone
etc).

Editors: Introduction to professional software.  Freeware, shareware,
specific (non all-in-one) packages.

researching skills, web based - keep track of new ideas, new information,
new techniques and other photography related information including search
tools..

search tools:  search engines: google, google groups, google images, others
  metasearch engines: dogpile etc
  search 'strings', techniques and boolean searches.
  usenet.