Re: SD card media

: we'll all hear more about it in time

from http://tinyurl.com/azhe4

"My SD card now filled with big 23 MB chunk of unusable data, even after
erasing all folders copied, and I can't move it out by any means.

So I formatted my SD card using Flash Format 2.30. The format process went
OK. But you shuold know what happened after that! I cannot copy anything to
SD card, I can't create a folder in that SD card. A dialog stated that the
SD card is full or write protected (it's not) and suggested me to change
another card!

This problem also occured with one of my fried. So SD card cannot be
formatted, because the format process may destroy the secure memory area on
the card, rendering the card unusable!!!! And my SD card is gone with the
wind!!! "

from : http://tinyurl.com/7lpwa
(formatting)
"It corrupts the card ONLY when it's not read properly
-when you think about that
-that's normal because it writes to sectors and FAT chain for which belives
are free. "

from:
http://sdprob.aximsite.com/
"Also, some of the space is used by the File Allocation Table (just like
your hard drive) but this can depend on how your card is formatted (FAT16,
FAT32, etc)..  The rest is used by what I call the "Secure Area" (The SD
Card Association calls this the "Copyright Protection Mechanism").  Yes,
some of your storage has gone to be used as sort-of extension of the File
Allocation Table (FAT) to determine what data on the card is protected by
copyright"

"And guess what happens if the "secure area" becomes corrupted?  Say
bye-bye to your SD card...  A high-level format can't directly access the
secure area.

(Actually I'll admit the most common question is - why did my SD card go
wrong?  You should find the answer on the line above...)"

I do a fair bit of data recovery and routinely pull data off hard drives
serious problems, even with collapsed heads, but I can tell you every tool
I threw at the SD was useless

just a heads up, that's all folks

on a similar note though, we used to learn stuff about our films,
developers etc - we knew how to fix test and wash test, we knew how to test
shutter speeds etc..

why the reluctance amoung the many that have gone digital to learn digital
basics?