more digital musings

Karl Shah-Jenner <shahjen@iinet.net.au> wrote/replied to:

>> Oh, raw files tend to be smaller than TIFF too (even compressed TIFF).
>
>Cool!  More stuff learned today :-)
>
>thanks Bob

Canon 10D 3072 by 2048 image camera files:
JPG - just over 3 megs
RAW - just over 6 megs with small JPG embedded
PS files:
TIFF 8 bit - 16 megs
TIFF 16 bit - 32 megs

So you can see that shooting JPG means you have to save a lot of JPG
files which negates any compactness JPGs give you.

Which is why I keep no TIF files, unless I've made some serious
changes in Photoshop. After using a TIF, I keep the RAW file which can
be reconverted at any time to the original settings, and a small 40K
JPG preview file for identity.

This system makes a nice tidy and compact bunch of files to archive
and backup.

Here's a tip I'll give anyone going digital. Always keep the camera
assigned file number in the filename no matter what other name you add
to it. That way you can always find it later. I learned the hard way
about this. My files end up something like oshidori_2036_web.jpg. I
also file them in folders according to the year, month and day. I keep
RAW files in a sub folder of each day. I backup only my RAW files and
previews, plus extra copies in high quality JPG files of my best
shots. It's a complicated thing, saving all these files, there's no
way around that.