Re: color me confused.............(so what else is new)

Bob Talbot <BobTalbot@st-abbs.fsnet.co.uk> wrote/replied to:

>3) If your raw file really does contain ALL the information from which
>the camera can create bitmaps (RGB - 8-bit-per channel) then post
>processing the raw files (as you do) MUST be able to produce better
>results and be less critical over white balance.   Post-processing
>routines are better because they can afford to be slower - offset by
>the fact they can use much faster processors of your PC / Mac.
>
>I can't understand why anybody avoids the use of raw files - unless
>they are only taking holiday snaps - IMO ;o)

Early in my 10d ownership I took JPGs, since I had a small CF card to
start. Unfortunately even from that short time I have a few images
that are round filed because of blown out highlights. Shooting JPG is
so limiting in all respects.

Some shooters have told me they have to shoot JPG due to needing to
take so many shots at once and not wanting to do any post processing.
They very carefully adjust the camera to achieve a perfect result in
JPG. I guess that would be fine in some situations. It seems kind of a
waste though...