Re: color me confused.............(so what else is new)

Jim writes:
> Early in my 10d ownership I took JPGs, since I had a small CF card to
> start. Unfortunately even from that short time I have a few images
> that are round filed because of blown out highlights. Shooting JPG is
> so limiting in all respects.
>
> Some shooters have told me they have to shoot JPG due to needing to
> take so many shots at once and not wanting to do any post processing.
> They very carefully adjust the camera to achieve a perfect result in
> JPG. I guess that would be fine in some situations. It seems kind of a
> waste though...

my undestanding of the shooting in RAW preference for many was that they
used this as a corrective tool after the fact, relying on full information
capture to compensate for having set the camera up poorly before shooting.
White balance anomalies and the like were easily correctable when all the
data is available to fiddle with.  I guess I equate this to the shooter who
relies on the automation of their flash, light metering and focus to get the
shot right in a film based camera.  Maybe I'm being too critical, I don't
know, but for me I have a distrust of relying on any auto functions to make
mistakes for me as I prefer to take the blame entirely when and if things go
wrong - at least I stand a chance of learning something ;-)

I also understand the distrust of jpeg stems from the hazards of post image
making when manipulating the image - a crop, a rotation.. a small colour
correction and true data is lost and replaced with interpolated junk.  A
quick resize (more data gone), save, and what's left is a far cry from the
original.  This of course can easily be overcome by immediately saving the
image as a TIF once downloaded to the 'puter (and not the post-photoshop 7
TIF either*) then with all the data intact, manipulating to one's hearts
content without fear odd data loss.  Best of both worlds - small image size
in cameraa, maximum data preservation during processing.

*the stab at TIF is over the the Adobe ® owned TIF file format which has
been re-engineered with greater compression in the latest incarnations of
PhotoShop® than before - it is no longer the lossless format people knew and
loved.

karl