Re: color me confused.............(so what else is new)

<<<
My guess would be you've set your camera to auto white balance and it's
balanced it's self to the tungsten modelling lights. When the flash has
actually made the exposure, the result will be blue as the flash colour temp
is far higher than the tungsten. >>>

karl

Dam it karl, that's a pretty neat answer.
It makes a lot of sense too.

Obviously once the flash has fired there's little time to do an "auto-colour-balance" on the fly.  So if it's looking at ambient lighting before the flash ...

Of course, there is then the inconsistency to explain.  Maybe different ambient/flash balances in the total exposure.

Of course, it might depend on how the individual camera did the balancing trick: if it was on the high-bit image post capture then it would not explain it:  mmmm ... download the "raw" images and post process them: we do all work with the raw images, no?

Bob