Re: color me confused.............(so what else is new)

<<<my undestanding of the shooting in RAW preference for many was that
they
used this as a corrective tool after the fact, relying on full
information
capture to compensate for having set the camera up poorly before
shooting.>>>
I guess that's one take on it ;o)

<<<Maybe I'm being too critical, I don't
know, but for me I have a distrust of relying on any auto functions to
make
mistakes for me >>>
But then you come down in favour of raw.
Raw gives you the option to process things the way you want and not
rely on optimized-for-speed routines inside the camera.  Also, more
importantly, if you intend to do any post-exposure tweaks on colour,
saturation, levels, curves ets - you have access to all the fine
levels from the original image.

<<I also understand the distrust of jpeg stems from the hazards of
post image
making when manipulating the image>>

<<<This of course can easily be overcome by immediately saving the
image as a TIF once downloaded to the 'puter (and not the
post-photoshop 7
TIF either*) then with all the data intact, >>>
No, you missed it again.  TIFF (as implemented on most cameras) only
gives you 8-bits per channel.  With the EOS 10D for instance RAW
(after decoding) gives you 12-bits per channel.

Oh, raw files tend to be smaller than TIFF too (even compressed TIFF).

Bob