Re: getting glossy prints from the Epson C 80 series inkjet printers

Karl Shah-Jenner <shahjen@iinet.net.au> wrote/replied to:

>> All you glossy folks, try standing at regular viewing distance to your
>> prints and tell me if you can really see all the details in it because
>> it's glossy.
>
>Try glazing an FB print andd comparing the unglazed to the glazed.. it's
>amazing how the shadow detail seperates dramatically in the glazed version.

I'm not sure if by 'glazing' you mean put behind glass? If so, are you
talking about putting the glass flush to the print's surface? I didn't
think that would be a good thing.

I examined three papers under a loupe. Epson gloss, semi matte, and
matte. The matte had obvious texture that really broke up small
details in the image, not good. The semi matte had basically the same
detail and gamut as the glossy, but without the extreme reflections
upon it. Of course the gloss has what many people think of as a
quality look, that which a shiny new car has too. I myself prefer more
of an 'artsy' look. In fact the semi matter is a compromise between
shiny and matte. It also doesn't show fingerprints, and I really like
it. I just wish I could get large lab prints here in semi gloss.

The Japanese have always been in love with gloss and still are. I
remember when Canadian photofinishers went from the old times of gloss
to satin, then semi gloss and now full circle back to gloss. At least
you usually get a choice of gloss or semi matter.

If you've ever examined an old satin finish print under a loupe, it's
a very strange surface that really loses all fine detail. And if
you've ever tried copying a satin print you find that it looks like
crap. Thank goodness the satin period was short.