Re: getting glossy prints from the Epson C 80 series inkjet printers

> I'm not sure if by 'glazing' you mean put behind glass? If so, are you
> talking about putting the glass flush to the print's surface? I didn't
> think that would be a good thing.

nope, it's also known as ferrotyping where the image is squeegee'd to a
chrome plated brass sheet or glass of a very high polish (NO scratches, no
matter how fine) and the print takes on the perfectly flat, extreme high
gloss finish of the ferrotyping plate.

> I examined three papers under a loupe. Epson gloss, semi matte, and
> matte. The matte had obvious texture that really broke up small
> details in the image, not good. The semi matte had basically the same
> detail and gamut as the glossy, but without the extreme reflections
> upon it. Of course the gloss has what many people think of as a
> quality look, that which a shiny new car has too. I myself prefer more
> of an 'artsy' look. In fact the semi matter is a compromise between
> shiny and matte. It also doesn't show fingerprints, and I really like
> it. I just wish I could get large lab prints here in semi gloss.

ah - personal preference has a lot to do with what looks good to our eye :-)

> The Japanese have always been in love with gloss and still are. I
> remember when Canadian photofinishers went from the old times of gloss
> to satin, then semi gloss and now full circle back to gloss. At least
> you usually get a choice of gloss or semi matter.

fads and trends come and go, I have a sampler here of some of ilfords past
range - scary stuff!  dozens of hideous textures and surfaces.. I have to
say I can oly ever print on gloss, semi-gloss and matte.  Plain stuff, very
conservative.

> If you've ever examined an old satin finish print under a loupe, it's
> a very strange surface that really loses all fine detail. And if
> you've ever tried copying a satin print you find that it looks like
> crap. Thank goodness the satin period was short.

that's largely due to the process of projecting the image onto the paper -
irregular surfaces scatter the light, lowering the probability of a sharp
image, so gloss takes an image well, even matte (which is often very flat)
takes images well too, but semi-gloss surfaces which are shiny and irregular
really much up sharpness..  I wonder if inkjet printers have this smae
problem?

karl