Re: WiFi borked after update

On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 08:06:56PM -0600, Dmitry S. Makovey wrote:
> Ryan Abel wrote:
> > To anybody reading using Red Pill mode, please don't. If you aren't
> > absolutely positive of what it's going to do, then you're just going
> > to get yourself in trouble. You don't need it and you don't want it,
> > so don't use it.
> Not trying to spin any flamewars or try to be obnoxious here, however I
> just have to ask this: "why the need for 2 modes in first place?". I'm
> taking care of quite a few (read - "much more than 10" ;) ) linux boxes
> (embedded and otherwise) and none of them has separate modes for package
> installation - you either install package or you don't. There's nothing
> in between. What was the motivation to split the two? Is that because
> Application Manager is not exactly apt-get frontend and does something
> "extra" that  couldn't have been implemented via extension of
> apt-get/dpkg ? I'm just curious.

One colour pill is for ordinary users.  They get packages that are safe
to use.

The other is for system hackers who know what they're doing.  They also
get packages that are not safe to use, in case they need them to do
things the ordinary user wouldn't dream of.

But I can never remember which colour pill is which.

-- hendrik