Re: WiFi borked after update

"ext Dmitry S. Makovey" <dimon@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I distinctly remember seeing osso* packages in the listing and I
> caught a glimpse of screen when it was downloading separate
> packages. It never got to Feature Upgrade. I got to that much later,
> when I fixed my networking. Come to think of it I'm pretty sure I've
> got "Operating System Upgrade" and not "Feature Upgrade", but I can't
> be sure now.

Uhh, ohh, I think I know what you did.  You are in red-pill mode with
"Show all packages" on and then you hit "Upgrade All", right?

The only supported way to upgrade is to update the single "OS2008
Feature Upgrade" package in blue-pill mode.

You approach should work, in theory, with high quality packages.  But we
aren't there yet, I am afraid.  I think I'll just try this to see what
happens...

I have already changed the defaults of red-pill mode to be 'safer':
"Show all packages" and "Show magic:sys" are now off by default.

>> Hmm, a dependency error is not something that you can override.  Any
>> chance that you remember more details about this?
>
> I didn't override much - it just complained that package "X" can't be
> installed because of missing dependency and offered choices (as I
> remember it now) of skipping that one or aborting.

Yep, this happens when you hit "Update All": every package is updated
separately, and if one of them fails, you can go on.

This feature is meant for application updates that are mostly
independent from each other.  Doing it with hundreds of system packages
with complicated dependencies will likely wreck havoc.  It's almost like
trying to update your Debian with wget and dpkg instead of apt-get.

> I know how frustrating it is to have very little details to resolve
> issues, but I was in a hurry, and I needed my N800 in somewhat working
> condition no matter what, so I just took as many "shortcuts" as I
> could at the time just to "get going". Now that I've learned my lesson
> I won't be agreeing to any updates if I don't have an hour or so to
> spend so I can do thing more diligently (including bug reports).

Ah, no, just stay out of red-pill mode for updates.  They might take
some time, but they should not need any baby-sitting.  It should be one
big download followed by one big installation and a clean reboot.