Re: WiFi borked after update

On Oct 6, 2008, at 4:04 AM, Marius Vollmer wrote:

> I have already changed the defaults of red-pill mode to be 'safer':
> "Show all packages" and "Show magic:sys" are now off by default.

Oh thank god! That makes my troubleshooting life so much easier. Three
cheers for Marius!

> Ah, no, just stay out of red-pill mode for updates.  They might take
> some time, but they should not need any baby-sitting.  It should be
> one
> big download followed by one big installation and a clean reboot.

At some point, Red Pill mode became some sort of magical fix-all snake
oil that everybody and his brother recommended for every problem.
Predictably and unfortunately, most of the people who ended following
these recommendations are exactly the people who shouldn't have.

The folks on the front lines of community troubleshooting support have
done their best to try to stop its usage as a magic bullet, but a lot
of people seem to ignore the advice against using it.

To anybody reading using Red Pill mode, please don't. If you aren't
absolutely positive of what it's going to do, then you're just going
to get yourself in trouble. You don't need it and you don't want it,
so don't use it.

--
Ryan Abel
Maemo Community Council chair