Re: Postal address in Contacts?

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Mark <wolfmane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Easy! Plain old CSV format. It allows for any number of fields of any
> size and data type, and good implementation of import uses templates
> to eliminate repetition of field matching after the first time. I've
> been using CSV for transporting data between completely different apps
> for many years, and my experience with the N800 is the first time I've
> had any issues with import/export.

(Pardon me for answering my own post - I left a couple of things out.)

I should have said "apps and devices". I've used CSV to transfer data
between apps and devices including Works, Access, Excel, PalmOS, EPOC
(Psion Series 5), Eudora, Gmail, various cell phones, and now even to
the N800 with Gnumeric. At least Gnumeric allows me to search and
edit, but a spreadsheet really isn't the most user-friendly format for
this type of data.

Now if I can just figure out how to sync Kontacts with gpe-contacts,
I'll have a work-around for most of the functionality I need. If I can
sync with Kontacts, it will allow me to export the edited data back
out of the tablet, which is currently impossible.

I wouldn't need sync at all if gpe-contacts could export as CSV (or
actually anything at all). Once I get my contacts on a portable
device, I generally do all my editing and updating on that device, and
export the updated data to my desktop as needed.

Mark