Re: Postal address in Contacts?

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 17:49 -0600, Mark wrote:
> However, the argument still stands. Having to open a separate
> application instead of working directly in the application you are
> really using is a PITA.

You seem to be unaware that exactly that is possible with the Evolution
Data Server model which is used by Maemo: one database which multiple
different programs access using *their own* GUI.

> > Obviously you've not tried Modest. As Kevin tried to explain, Modest
> > uses the Contacts database, not some silly seperate database, and thus
> > integrates very nicely with all the other Maemo software.
>
> No, I haven't...and now I know *not* to...
>
> Every email app I've used to date instantly and painlessly imports and
> exports address books, which is a darn sight better than Contacts will
> ever do. Hasn't anybody learned the lesson from Micro$oft/IE that
> "integration" is a *bad* thing?

Only if it is based on closed data formats and proprietary technology.

>  Powerful, painless import and export
> (and sync) are our friends.

And you have that today? As someone who has worked on sync technology
for quite a while now I can tell you that getting it right is exactly
the PITA that you complain about. It just gets worse the more programs
you want to sync with.

> Integrated=proprietary+closed+PITA.
> Import+Export=complete freedom between many completely different apps,
> not only apps that perform similar functions, but completely different
> functions.
>
> And the vCard format is incredibly clunky and limited. Not the best
> choice for the only supported format.

So what is the alternative format that gives you this "complete freedom
between many completely different apps ... [with] completely different
functions"?

--
Bye, Patrick Ohly