Re: Postal address in Contacts?

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm using a n800 with the factory-installed OS.
>
> Does the Contacts application really provide no way to enter a street
> address, that is, a regular postal mailing address, the plain old
> physical-letter-in-a-physical-envelope-with-a-stamp-on-it kind of address?
>  People still do need to write letters on paper sometimes.
>
> When I select contact->New Contact I get to provide First Name, Last Name,
> Nickname, E-mail, and Jabber.  For a while I was astounded that there
> was no provision for a phone number.  But then I discovered I could also
> choose Add Field  and get to provide E-mail (again?) Phone,
> Web Address, and Jabber (again?).
>
> But no plain old old-fashioned address.  I don't even need to
> formally split into street names and numbers, etc.
> Just a plain old multi-line text field would do (Unicode or UTF-8
> preferred, of course).
>
> -- hendrik

You're correct: the Contacts app that comes with the tablet is
completely useless, as it only has fields for name, email, Jabber,
SIP, Nickname, Web page URL and phone number. Some of those are only
available if you click the "Add field" button.

The gpe Contacts app is much better and has a *lot* more fields
(including physical addresses), but it's still limited and doesn't
give you the option to add any custom fields, so you're out of luck if
you need anything that isn't already included. It also only allows
numerals in phone number fields, so if you have a number thats like
this: "1-546-456-5792 ext.3928" you're once again out of luck because
it won't accept the "ext.". You can get around that by using a dash
instead of the alpha characters, but then it isn't technically
correct. It's still more than adequate for many people.

If you have the "Extras" repository enabled, it should show up in your
Application Manager. Click "Browse installable applications", then
"All", then scroll down to "gpe-contacts".

You can also try this link:
http://www.cobb.uk.net/NokiaIT/gpe-contacts.install

Which comes from the homepage of the developer:
http://www.cobb.uk.net/770/index.html#gpe

Mark