Re: Postal address in Contacts?

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 12:25 PM, Kevin T. Neely
<ktneely@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 11:41:48AM -0600, Mark wrote:
>> Okay, what "problem" does it solve? It's not a cellphone, so phone
>> numbers are no help. How many phone numbers do you need to look up
>
> To follow your logic,

No, you're most certainly *not* following my logic. My logic is that
physical addresses are something that needs to be looked up, whereas
phone numbers and email addresses are always at one's fingertips
whenever one needs them.

> there is no reason that the tablet's
> contacts profile should have physical addresses because it
> cannot do anything with them.  It certainly cannot send snail
> mail,

...and neither can its owner if they can't find the address...

> and until recently the tablets did not have GPS (a
> reason for addresses to be included in Diablo perhaps?)

Sure they did! I have an N800 and a bluetooth GPSr. A USB GPSr would
also probably work, or a serial one with a USB to serial adapter.

Not that that's relevant, as addresses work very nicely in all local
mapping software, as well as online, without any GPS capability at
all.

> But the tablet *can* send e-mail and it *can* initiate voice
> communications,
>  which is a good reason for it to store e-mail addresses.  I
> believe the RTcomm update allows you to initiate voice calls
> to phone numbers that are stored in the contacts database but
> I have not played with this.

Let's see if I've got this straight: you're saying that it's somehow
easier to drag out the tablet, start up Contacts, look up the person,
make sure you're tethered to your phone with bluetooth, then use the
tablet to tell the phone to dial the number, than to simply open the
phone, press a few buttons and make the call? (Or better yet, press
one button and use voice recognition to make the call.) Uh, I confess
you've got me speechless over that one...

> The internal contacts database also works with Modest, which is what I use.  Therefore, the e-mail program I use /does/ use the the contacts database.

...and you don't have an address book in Modest? Or you don't use it?
Again, you're saying that it's easier to open up a separate program
and deal with it than to simply use the features of the program you're
using. Modest's address book must really be a pile of crap!...

>> stores that? Almost none of my contacts have their own Web sites, and
>
> Mine do, and I cannot remember every single .edu/~username out there, nor do I want to fill up my bookmarks with this, since it is such a small screen.

I repeat, if the tablets are considered strictly a developer's
plaything, then yes, it may meet *your* needs as is. You are hardly
the average consumer, though. For the average consumer, it is very far
from it.

> So, the contacts database may not fufill *your* needs, and it is far from perfect, but it is certainly not useless.  Many of your examples tell us why Contacts does not fit Mark's needs, but do not demonstrate that the app is useless.  I would love for it to be better and more useful, but insisting on using words like "Useless" does not help to foster useful discussion on the topic.
>
>> Yeah, "useless" is exactly the correct term. If this is supposed to be
>> a "consumer" device, it needs to meet the needs of consumers, not only
>
> A consumer device, yes.  A Personal Information Manager, no.

"Famous last words"...

So which is it? Are the tablets really intended to be consumer
devices, or are they just token gestures really meant only for
developers? If it's the latter, that's fine, but be honest about it.

Mark