Re: Postal address in Contacts?

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 11:41:48AM -0600, Mark wrote:
> Okay, what "problem" does it solve? It's not a cellphone, so phone
> numbers are no help. How many phone numbers do you need to look up

To follow your logic, there is no reason that the tablet's contacts profile should have physical addresses because it cannot do anything with them.  It certainly cannot send snail mail, and until recently the tablets did not have GPS (a reason for addresses to be included in Diablo perhaps?)

But the tablet *can* send e-mail and it *can* initiate voice communications, which is a good reason for it to store e-mail addresses.  I believe the RTcomm update allows you to initiate voice calls to phone numbers that are stored in the contacts database but I have not played with this.

> when your cell phone stores those? It can't send email addresses to
> anything but the built-in email app, so that's no help. How many times
> do you need to look up someone's email address when your email program

The internal contacts database also works with Modest, which is what I use.  Therefore, the e-mail program I use /does/ use the the contacts database.

> stores that? Almost none of my contacts have their own Web sites, and

Mine do, and I cannot remember every single .edu/~username out there, nor do I want to fill up my bookmarks with this, since it is such a small screen.

So, the contacts database may not fufill *your* needs, and it is far from perfect, but it is certainly not useless.  Many of your examples tell us why Contacts does not fit Mark's needs, but do not demonstrate that the app is useless.  I would love for it to be better and more useful, but insisting on using words like "Useless" does not help to foster useful discussion on the topic.

> Yeah, "useless" is exactly the correct term. If this is supposed to be
> a "consumer" device, it needs to meet the needs of consumers, not only

A consumer device, yes.  A Personal Information Manager, no.

In Vino Veritas
http://astroturfgarden.com