Re: Postal address in Contacts?

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 04:34:09PM -0600, Mark wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 12:25 PM, Kevin T. Neely
> <ktneely@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 11:41:48AM -0600, Mark wrote:
> >
> > To follow your logic,
>
> No, you're most certainly *not* following my logic. My logic is that
> physical addresses are something that needs to be looked up, whereas

I am.  Your logic was, "If the tablet does not do X, it does not need to store Y"  Well, following that, there is no need to store physical addresses because the tablet cannot send actual, physical mail.  It's a stupid permutation but it does follow the logic trail you laid in the earlier e-mail.

> ...and neither can its owner if they can't find the address...

That's just circular, and you know it.  If we follow that, then the information it stored you thought was "useless" is not so.  A phone number cannot be dialled w/o the owner.  Nor an e-mail address.

The tablet is, to me, an electronic communications device.  Would I like for *all* my contact information to be in there?  Of course, but if we have to pick and choose, then it makes sense to have the information that is immediately useful, like phone numbers, e-mail addresses, and IM addresses (the latter two pretty much the same, heck, with VOIP, all three pretty much the same).

> Let's see if I've got this straight: you're saying that it's somehow
> easier to drag out the tablet, start up Contacts, look up the person,
> make sure you're tethered to your phone with bluetooth, then use the
> tablet to tell the phone to dial the number, than to simply open the

I think this has been addressed, but in short, tethering is simple and seamless in my usage.  And, besides, I was really referring to using wi-fi.  Not that that matters much.   The tablet is meant to be online.  The newest version is WIMAX-enabled, which should give a good idea of where Nokia is going with it.  A device of the future, always connected.

In Vino Veritas
http://astroturfgarden.com