Re: Postal address in Contacts?

I hope this isn't getting heated... :)

Kevin T. Neely wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 04:34:09PM -0600, Mark wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 12:25 PM, Kevin T. Neely
>> <ktneely@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 11:41:48AM -0600, Mark wrote:
>>>
>>> To follow your logic,
>> No, you're most certainly *not* following my logic. My logic is that
>> physical addresses are something that needs to be looked up, whereas
>

> I am.  Your logic was, "If the tablet does not do X, it does not need to
> store Y"  Well, following that, there is no need to store physical addresses
> because the tablet cannot send actual, physical mail.  It's a stupid
> permutation but it does follow the logic trail you laid in the earlier
> e-mail.
Actually, that's not how I read it; I saw something more like:
"you don't need to lookup phone numbers on it because the phone does it better
and doesn't use the Contacts DB".
Also "you don't need to lookup email addresses" for similar reasons.

However, very few paper envelopes have a lookup facility - and having a portable
 "little black book" is better than having to go back to my desktop machine. I
can use my N800 at home, I can't use my desktop out and about.

The point being that the N800 Contacts app is so anaemic that it makes no sense
to use it. It's a cheap plastic toy - sorry.

>> ...and neither can its owner if they can't find the address...
>
> That's just circular, and you know it.  If we follow that, then the
> information it stored you thought was "useless" is not so.  A phone number
> cannot be dialled w/o the owner.  Nor an e-mail address.

'Useless' is demonstrably wrong - 'almost never relevant in real world
conditions' is more like it.

> The tablet is, to me, an electronic communications device.  Would I like for
> *all* my contact information to be in there?  Of course, but if we have to
> pick and choose, then it makes sense to have the information that is
> immediately useful, like phone numbers, e-mail addresses, and IM addresses
> (the latter two pretty much the same, heck, with VOIP, all three pretty much
> the same).
Why do we have to pick and choose?
Oh, is it because someone decided to start from scratch? Again.

> Not that that matters much.   The tablet is meant to be online.  The newest
> version is WIMAX-enabled, which should give a good idea of where Nokia is
> going with it.  A device of the future, always connected.

I wonder whether it should have an LDAP server in there.
One I can sync back to my LDAP or my service provider's, or a subset of my
organisations or my google group online community or ...
Hmm, why am I saying 'or'.

David