Re: Postal address in Contacts?

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 04:34:09PM -0600, Mark wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 12:25 PM, Kevin T. Neely
> > But the tablet *can* send e-mail and it *can* initiate voice
> > communications,
> >  which is a good reason for it to store e-mail addresses.  I
> > believe the RTcomm update allows you to initiate voice calls
> > to phone numbers that are stored in the contacts database but
> > I have not played with this.
>
> Let's see if I've got this straight: you're saying that it's somehow
> easier to drag out the tablet, start up Contacts, look up the person,
> make sure you're tethered to your phone with bluetooth, then use the
> tablet to tell the phone to dial the number, than to simply open the
> phone, press a few buttons and make the call? (Or better yet, press
> one button and use voice recognition to make the call.) Uh, I confess
> you've got me speechless over that one...

Nope, you didn't get that straight. N800 (and I pressume the N810 as
well) can do VoIP/SIP by itself, thanks to rtcomm. It would require that
your N8x0 is online though, which admittedly isn't always the case.

> > The internal contacts database also works with Modest, which is what
> > I use.  Therefore, the e-mail program I use /does/ use the the
> > contacts database.
>
> ...and you don't have an address book in Modest? Or you don't use it?
> Again, you're saying that it's easier to open up a separate program
> and deal with it than to simply use the features of the program you're
> using. Modest's address book must really be a pile of crap!...

Obviously you've not tried Modest. As Kevin tried to explain, Modest
uses the Contacts database, not some silly seperate database, and thus
integrates very nicely with all the other Maemo software.

--
Jesper Cheetah