Re: the push to get rid of CONFIG_VT in the kernel and the future of Speakup

On 10/09/14 07:32, Janina Sajka wrote:
John G. Heim writes:
You can switch to a character user interface and use speakup even after
starting the graphical user interface. But as I said, I don't consider that
a key part of the linux  accessibility infrastructure.

I have to disagree strongly, John.

But, let me phrase my disagreement this way, is the console a key part
of Linux? Or shall we dump the console entirely in favor of a terminal
in the gui?

In principle, I agree with you entirely. I'm in favor of 100% equal access. It's just that I think there is a much greater issue.

Actually, the way you do things probably isn't threatened. You may have to switch to a different user space screen reader. But the linux kernel developers have no obligation to avoid telling you that your choice of screen reader is no longer supported. They do that kind of thing every day.

I am asserting that doing something that makes it impossible for a blind systems admin to get access to the same boot messages that a sighted systems admin gets is a completely different matter. I'm saying that there are times when a sys admin has to have access to those messages or he can't do his job. I'm not saying he can't do it as efficiently. I'm saying sometimes he can't do it at all without access to those messages.

There are a lot of places to attack my position. Some people have implied that you can do your job w/o access to those messages. I agree that most of the time you can. But not always. Also, there may be other ways to get access to those messages besides speakup and a hardware synth. A serial console comes to mind. But I'm not sure of what the status of the serial console is going to be if this change occurs.