the push to get rid of CONFIG_VT in the kernel and the future of Speakup

As seen on Slashdot:

<quote>
An anonymous reader writes: The next version of systemd is poised to introduce
{an experimental "systemd-consoled"
that serves as a user-space console daemon}.
The consoled furthers the Linux developers' goal of eventually deprecating the
VT subsystem found within the Linux kernel in favor of a user-space driven
terminal that supports better localization, increased security,
and greater robustness of {the kernel's seldom touched and hairy
CONFIG_VT'ed code}.
</quote>

Taken from:
http://linux.slashdot.org/story/14/10/08/134208/systemd-adding-its-own-console-to-linux-systems

This is an interesting development, and I've been expecting it for a
long time in some form.
See, for example, the following proposal from 2003:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jonathan.deboynepollard/Proposals/linux-console-daemon.html
So I'm pretty sure that the future of the Linux console will be in user
space.  Thoughts?

PS.  The integration into systemd is irrelevant.  The original work
started outside of that project.  So I'm hoping this *won't* turn into a
discussion about systemd, a very divisive issue which evokes strong
feelings on both sides...

-- Chris