Re: Problem with dosemu

Thanks Jegunn for your interest in helping with this issue.

On 04/21/2014 11:08 PM, Jegunn wrote:
Sorry to be so slow/indecisive, but is this not the old problem with
the memory fence pointer, which used to be fixable with the creation
of a file in /etc/sysctl.d/, say
I have an old, and somewhat mangled Fedora-3 distro and it does not have sysctl.d/90-low-memory-access.conf

vm.mmap_min_addr=0.
Consequently I don't know how to make the mmap adjustment.

One also needed to
keep the kernel from randomizing virtual address space with

echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/randomize_va_space
I tried that but segfault is still there.

this with modern kernels because I run dosemu (1.4) on a 32-bit
My kernel is 2.6.20, configured and compiled by myself.

I just tried dosemu on the same box (32bit AMD) booted into xubuntu 12.04. I installed dosemu 1.4.0.1 from ubuntu's software center. It was flawless, fast, and worked immediately.

CONCLUSION: there is nothing wrong with dosemu. My difficulty is probably due to kernel configuration.

I still would like to be able to compile and run it on my FC-3 boot environment as well. It is such a learning experience for me to discover and understand the inner workings of Unix/Linux/C world.

Janos