Re: Problem with dosemu

Hi Franta,

Thanks for the quick reply.

See below my answers and comments:

On 04/14/2014 06:22 PM, Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
Hi Janos, dosemu has log in user home directory, '~/.dosemu/boot.log' - is there anything?
Thanks, this section may show something
CONF: reserving 64Kb at 0xE0000 for 'E' (EMS page frame)
ERROR: cpu exception in dosemu code outside of VM86()!
trapno: 0x0e  errorcode: 0x00000004  cr2: 0x0419eab7
eip: 0x001135a0  esp: 0xbfdb8db4  eflags: 0x00210282
cs: 0x0073  ds: 0x007b  es: 0x007b  ss: 0x007b
ERROR: Fault handler re-entered! signal=11 _trapno=0xE
leavedos(1|0x1) called - shutting down
leavedos() called from within a signal context!
ERROR: leavedos called recursively, forgetting the graceful exit!

I seem to remember that a few years back, the time when FC-3 was the new thing, I installed dosemu and it never worked. But I could be wrong.

You are trying run dosemu under console, right? I not sure when is possible run dosemu in background, as You indicate above. At least first dosemu start should be run in foreground, because dosemu shell script (wrapper around 'dosemu.bin', emulator binary) will ask You about several things (freedos installation etc.). You have completed this dialog? Can You try run xdosemu under X Window? It should run fine too.
Actually, I did the install while in X environment, from xterm. Indeed, it ran through the initial install steps (creating directory, agreeing to license terms, etc. This happened both if I started dosemu from root or from my home directory. By the way, xdosemu is just a symlink to dosemu in my installation. I also tried it from console (Ctr_Alt_f1), but same thing happened, and I could even not get out of it, I had to open another tty to reboot. As far as foreground or background are concerned I initially ran it in foreground and did the dosemu & only to show you what was on my screen.

You write that you did clean install - did You remove stuff in user home directory as well ('~/.dosemu/*' and eventually '~/dosemu/*', including ~/.dosemu and ~/dosemu directories itself)?
Yes, absolutely clean, even the man files were deleted. I first ran rpm -e ...., but it left some lingering files, empty directories. So I did a find (using kfind) to make sure nothing was left behind.

You mean to tell that no one dosemu version (1.2.2 nor 1.4.0.1) works, and both have same behavior, as You described above?
Actually, the behavior is a little different. rpm 1.2 install does lead me through the install steps, and opens up the black screen, but I had to kill the process. Compiled 1.4 does not go through the script, it presents me with a blank xterm screen, and I can simply get back to command prompt with Ctr-c.

What is your terminal screen resolution? You are using Linux Kernel Mode Setting (KMS) to set display mode? What is 'stty -a' output?
[apu@Andraslinux ~]$ stty -a
speed 38400 baud; rows 30; columns 80; line = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^H; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
eol2 = <undef>; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W;
lnext = ^V; flush = ^O; min = 1; time = 0;
-parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread -clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl ixon -ixoff
-iuclc -ixany -imaxbel
opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0
isig icanon iexten echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop -echoprt
echoctl echoke

Did You install dosemu package with command 'rpm -U dosemu-x.y-z.rpm' or 'rpm -i dosemu-x.y-z.rpm'? Produce this command some error output? And did You install it as root?
I used rpm -ivh command, but after your answer I cleaned it up again (rpm -e) and did the rpm -U. Installation was always quick and flawless. Yes, I did it from my home directory, xterm, but after issuing su command. So the installation was with root privileges.

I'll do now another clean up, the compile 1.2 source, see if it makes a difference, i.e. 1.2 from source instead of 1.4 from source.

We'll get to the bottom of this, I'm sure.

Janos