Re: Problem with dosemu

jankomEarthlink wrote:
> Hi Frantisek,
>
> This is an update.
>
> No progress. Dosemu is not working.
>
> Your rpm loads, dosemu command produces a black screen with a white block
> cursor and no prompt. It is unresponsive.
>

> Compiled 1.4 produces white screen and no prompt It is unresponsive, Ctr-C
> will stop it and brings me back to bash prompt.
>
> No error messages in either case. Please note that I installed rpm to a
> clean system, i.e. no dosemu files or directories. Also, before compiling
> 1.4 I uninstalled rpm and cleaned out dosemu files and dierctories, so
> again, started with a clean system.
>
> I saw nothing in log files, so I don't know how to proceed and find out
> what is going on. I checked processes running on the 1.4 installation: ps
> before and whiledosemu was running. See below:
>
> [apu@Andraslinux ~]$ su -c "ps -e > psb4dosemu.txt"
> Password:
> [apu@Andraslinux ~]$ dosemu &
> [1] 27554
> [apu@Andraslinux ~]$ su -c "ps -e > psWdosemu.txt"
> Password:
> [apu@Andraslinux ~]$ kill 27554
> [apu@Andraslinux ~]$ diff psb4dosemu.txt psWdosemu.txt
> 67,68d66
> < 27410 ?        00:00:00 kio_http
> < 27412 ?        00:00:00 kio_http
> 71,73c69,72
> < 27532 pts/1    00:00:00 su
> < 27537 pts/1    00:00:00 bash
> < 27538 pts/1    00:00:00 ps
> ---
>> 27554 pts/1    00:00:24 dosemu.bin
>> 27577 pts/1    00:00:00 su
>> 27584 pts/1    00:00:00 bash
>> 27585 pts/1    00:00:00 ps
> [1]+  Terminated              dosemu
> [apu@Andraslinux ~]$
>
> Note: I can run dosbox through ssh from another linux installation. I
> would like to run dosemu from my own system.

Hi Janos,

dosemu has log in user home directory, '~/.dosemu/boot.log' - is there
anything? In '/etc/dosemu/dosemu.conf' You can raise debug level, symbols
for particular sybsystems are (for 1.4.x, but for lower versions it will
be similar):
'A' ASPI                    'i' i/o instructions (in/out) 'r' PIC request
'a' Set all levels          'I' IPC                       's' serial
'C' CDROM                   'j' joystick                  'S' SOUND
'c' configuration           'k' keyboard                  't' dpmi trace
'd' disk msgs               'M' DPMI                      'T' I/O trace
'D' dos int 21h             'm' mouse                     'v' video
'#' default int             'n' IPX network               'W' disk WRITE
'e' cpu-emu                 'P' Packet driver             'w' warnings
'E' EMS                     'p' printer                   'x' XMS
'g' general messages        'Q' Mapping driver            'X' X support
'h' hardware                'R' disk READ                 'Z' PCI

You are trying run dosemu under console, right? I not sure when is
possible run dosemu in background, as You indicate above. At least
first dosemu start should be run in foreground, because dosemu shell
script (wrapper around 'dosemu.bin', emulator binary) will ask You
about several things (freedos installation etc.).
You have completed this dialog?

Can You try run xdosemu under X Window? It should run fine too.

You write that you did clean install - did You remove stuff in user home
directory as well ('~/.dosemu/*' and eventually '~/dosemu/*', including
~/.dosemu and ~/dosemu directories itself)?

You mean to tell that no one dosemu version (1.2.2 nor 1.4.0.1) works,
and both have same behavior, as You described above?

What is your terminal screen resolution? You are using Linux Kernel Mode
Setting (KMS) to set display mode? What is 'stty -a' output?

Did You install dosemu package with command 'rpm -U dosemu-x.y-z.rpm' or
'rpm -i dosemu-x.y-z.rpm'? Produce this command some error output?
And did You install it as root?

Franta Hanzlik