Re: Joe Philbrook, USA Xubuntu Karmic 2.6.31-21-generic

It would appear that on May 5, Marvin Stodolsky did say:

> Joe,
>
> I'm not sure this is cogent to slmodemd usage, but we have to use it
> under 2.6.31 for one of the Agere modems competing for snd-hda-intel
> fuctionality.
> Do:
> $ sudo gedit  /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
> and change the phrase:
>      options snd-hda-intel power_save=10
>   to:
>      options snd-hda-intel power_save=0
>
> With an ALSA proficient slmodemd already installed reboot and retest,
> to assess if there is any improvement in the "Carrier Check" issue.
> Others (but not all) have this same problem. We haven't as yet been
> able to identify the significant differences.

Tried it. results = no change. Still hung up on the "Carrier Check"
issue...

Food for thought:
There's probably more to it than just the diff between vendor id 0x10573055
& 0x10573057 (which is mine) but a scroogle search for mine yielded this

Which shows that somebody had my exact problem with my exact vendor id way
back on April 20th, 2008. Also, with that scroogle search, I didn't find anything but
a vague reference to "one report" of success to the modem problem... Which, since
that indirect reference didn't give any details, might even have been someone with
a 0x10573055 chip... So if you know for sure that any of the people
who don't have the "Carrier Check" issue have the 0x10573057 version
of the chip, I'd like to know. But with my luck I might have bought a
laptop model with a chip from a vendor who didn't implement something
the same way as the other vendors did.

By the way. I was thinking, and it occurred to me that apt-get upgrade
only upgrades to the latest alsa driver in the ubuntu repository. It's
possible that this problem would go away if I installed the latest
stable alsa driver???.

Anyway I've got a couple of questions about upgrading my alsa driver from the
ALSA_version=1.0.20 that scanModem says I got, to alsa-driver-1.0.23 using the
instructions at:
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-eighth/msg00838.html

The Questions are, since scanModem also says:
"The dkms driver upgrade utilities are installed"

1) Would I have to recompile alsa-driver-1.0.23 every time
   apt-get upgrade gives me a new kernel?
2) If ubuntu upgrades from ALSA_version=1.0.20 to say 1.0.22
   would this manually compiled and installed 1.0.23 be safe from
   molestation by apt-get upgrade/apt-get dist-upgrade and or synaptic "updates"??