Re: Joe Philbrook, USA Xubuntu Karmic 2.6.31-21-generic

It would appear that on May 4, Marvin Stodolsky did say:

> Joe,
>
> With sl-modem-daemon installed,
> it while try to setup you modem upon bootup.  So after bootup try a
> modem detection with:
> # wvdialconf wvtest
> Your previous setup failures may merele have been because the modem
> was already activated.

Well thanks for the tip Marvin. But it wasn't that...

First though let me tell you about the "make clean" suggestion. It
didn't make any difference the resulting slmodemd didn't have alsa
support... I looked at the README file and then poked around looking
for my kernel source and modified the make command string. So after a
"make clean" I tried:
"make KERNEL_DIR=/lib/modules/2.6.31-21-generic/build ALSA_SUPPORT=1"
But I got the same lack of alsa support. Which didn't happen with the
downloaded versions of slmodemd from either the SLMODEMD.gcc4.3.tar.gz
or the SLMODEMD_gcc4.4~a1.0.20.tar.gz tarballs. In either case, once
either the sl-modem-daemon (if installed) or the command:
slmodemd -c USA --alsa hw:0,6 (if sl-modem-daemon not installed), has
created the symlink /dev/ttySL0, then wvdial and/or wvdialconf can
find the modem. And either wvdial or pon (having plugged most of
wvdial.conf's settings into the pppconfig utility) will take modem off
hock, detect dialtone, & dial my isp. But nothing seams able to stop
them from "listening for carrier" Which they don't hear, though if I
listen in on the other extension I can hear my isp's modem answer the
call... (sigh)

But if I try to use the manually compiled slmodemd, then neither the
command: "slmodemd -c USA --alsa hw:0,6" Nor (if installed) the
sl-modem-daemon process creates the symlink for lack of alsa support.

Thus, as long as the slmodemd in /usr/sbin is NOT the manually
compiled version, wvdialconf wvtest recreates a copy of my wvdial.conf
minus the user, passwd, phone, & "Carrier Check = no" settings...
It's only with the freshly compiled version of slmodemd that wvdialconf fails.
because the freshly compiled slmodemd fails for lack of alsa support...

But thanks anyway, It was worth trying.

--
|    ^^^   ^^^
|    <o>   <o>      Joe (theWordy) Philbrook