Re: Joe Philbrook, USA Xubuntu Karmic 2.6.31-21-generic

It would appear that on Apr 30, Antonio Olivares did say:

> Joe,
>
> If you won't mind a bit of work, I would try to build the
> slmodemd(alsa driver) on your own machine.  That means incorporating
> 32 bit devel libraries/packages
>
> Download:
> http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/slmodem-2.9.11-20100303.tar.gz
>
> and copy it to your linux partition/home directory and extract it
> $ tar -zxvf slmodem-2.9.11-20100303.tar.gz
> $ cd slmodem-2.9.11-20100303
> $ cd modem
> $ make ALSA_SUPPORT=1
>
> it might fail like things like stubbs.gnu.32 files are missing and try
> to build it, or you may also download SLMODEMD.gcc4.3.tar.gz without
> ALSA extension.  Copy it over the other slmodemd(rename the previous
> slmodemd to slmodemd.old) and try the new one.  Report back presently

JtWdyP -> /home/jtwdyp/com/scanModem/XubuntuModem/ManualBuild/slmodem-2.9.11-20100303/modem
> make ALSA_SUPPORT=1
rebuild profile...
gcc -m32 -Wall -g -O -I. -DCONFIG_DEBUG_MODEM   -o modem_main.o -c modem_main.c
In file included from /usr/include/features.h:378,
                 from /usr/include/unistd.h:26,
                 from modem_main.c:45:
/usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:7:27: error: gnu/stubs-32.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [modem_main.o] Error 1
JtWdyP -> /home/jtwdyp/com/scanModem/XubuntuModem/ManualBuild/slmodem-2.9.11-20100303/modem

Where/how can I get this stubs.h anyway???

When you said it might complain about such things, you said "and try to build it"
I know very little about compiling software, About the only thing I've
ever done so with successfully was alpine on some distro that didn't include it in their
repos (And that only by blindly following the step by step instructions
that came with it...) But what little I remember said it took more
than one command. So I gotta ask...

1) Since "make" reported that "Error 1", is the next step in the build
process even possible without first acquiring the missing stubs.h???

2) What would the next command in the process be?

Anyway since I'm stuck on the above attempt to "build" it manually, I did an:
wget http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/SLMODEMD.gcc4.3.tar.gz
and extracted the slmodemd file which I copied to /usr/sbin/slmodemd,
then since my mind drew a blank {durned CRS} when I tried to think of how to
stop/restart the sl-modem-daemon process to ensure the new version was
being used I rebooted, and tried wvdial...

OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT7340102
--> Waiting for carrier.