Re: faxing - ModemData.txt Attached

Dear Andrew,

The document which you quote is unfortunately misleading.
David and many Linux users discover which modem they have AFTER having purchased the modem (often the whole computer). And if the modem comes from Conexant, there IS NO ALTERNATE to Linuxant. And the Linuxant HSF driver (full unlimited version) works at FAXing.

Faxing, efax, Hylafax are off topic on this forum, but because all the mail is archived I had to post this remark to limit the consequences of the quoted document.

Jacques

Andrew Rinaldi wrote:
David Rodriguez wrote:
Hi,

Why are you telling about the Dell driver? I told you in my last email
that your regular driver works in dialup in my computer.

Also, when I do pay for the full license, will you tell me how to set
it up for faxing?

from,
David
David,

Here's a recent post from one of the developers on the the HylaFAX newsgroup which address's modems for fax and Linuxant in particular;;

"Can you give me any recommendation on the modem? Am I worrying for nothing? Please note I want a modem that would work at least as well as my Canon fax.

The question does get asked a lot. And one of the reasons why there is not a set answer (or any answer, for that matter) is because the right answer is going to vary quite a bit depending on your needs and use. For example, factors such as feature support, price, design... all of these things make a significant difference in the answer.

You seem to want something that "works well" (most other people want this, too) and is external. Given those set of criteria I can only offer one suggestion: the MultiTech MT5634ZBA-V92. However, that modem uses the Venus chipset which has long been end-of-life (so you're not likely to ever see any major fixes to bugs found in the firmware)... it was a good chipset, but it has a few flaws.

If you were to drop the external requirement then I'd say to get a Mainpine IQ Express (PCIe). Admittedly, I am biased on that recommendation, but I understand the advantages to it... not least of which is that Mainpine is actively developing the product... so if there were to come a problem... I know that it will get resolved.

BUT in both of those cases you may come to find that you do also have a price requirement as well... and in that case all I can say is to avoid USR chipsets and to avoid Linuxant (Conexant linmodem) and to roll the dice and try and see"

I hope that answers your questions.

Regards

Andrew Rinaldi
Mainpine Developer Support
USA +1 866 363 6680 | UK +44 1225 807 807
andrew.rinaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx | www.mainpine.com