Re: faxing - ModemData.txt Attached

David Rodriguez wrote:
Hi,

Why are you telling about the Dell driver? I told you in my last email
that your regular driver works in dialup in my computer.

Also, when I do pay for the full license, will you tell me how to set
it up for faxing?

from,
David
David,

Here's a recent post from one of the developers on the the HylaFAX newsgroup which address's modems for fax and Linuxant in particular;;

"Can you give me any recommendation on the modem? Am I worrying for nothing? Please note I want a modem that would work at least as well as my Canon fax.

The question does get asked a lot. And one of the reasons why there is not a set answer (or any answer, for that matter) is because the right answer is going to vary quite a bit depending on your needs and use. For example, factors such as feature support, price, design... all of these things make a significant difference in the answer.

You seem to want something that "works well" (most other people want this, too) and is external. Given those set of criteria I can only offer one suggestion: the MultiTech MT5634ZBA-V92. However, that modem uses the Venus chipset which has long been end-of-life (so you're not likely to ever see any major fixes to bugs found in the firmware)... it was a good chipset, but it has a few flaws.

If you were to drop the external requirement then I'd say to get a Mainpine IQ Express (PCIe). Admittedly, I am biased on that recommendation, but I understand the advantages to it... not least of which is that Mainpine is actively developing the product... so if there were to come a problem... I know that it will get resolved.

BUT in both of those cases you may come to find that you do also have a price requirement as well... and in that case all I can say is to avoid USR chipsets and to avoid Linuxant (Conexant linmodem) and to roll the dice and try and see"

I hope that answers your questions.

Regards

Andrew Rinaldi
Mainpine Developer Support
USA +1 866 363 6680 | UK +44 1225 807 807
andrew.rinaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx | www.mainpine.com