Re: Assessment criteria for decision on in-person/virtual IETF 108

On 20 Apr 2020, at 14:22, Carsten Bormann wrote:

On 2020-04-20, at 21:12, Pete Resnick <resnick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I do think it is almost unimaginable that the July face-to-face takes place. But there is no downside I can see to waiting to cancel until the middle of May as planned.

Pete,

I mostly agree with what you are saying, but I think it is too easy to agree with the above if you are in the loop with respect to the current discussions. For random participants, this may not all be so obvious, so lack of clarity does have a cost.

Having said that, I still agree with the current plan to make a final decision in May. I do believe that we could communicate some estimated probabilities now.

Carsten, I think that's a reasonable point, and maybe it means that Jay, in whatever the next "state of the state" post he makes on IETF-Announce, set expectations by saying explicitly, "Yes, we see the likelihood as very low and we're making plans for an online meeting one way or the other. But we're still running through the assessment and are going to make the official call in May, if for no other reason than to make sure we can do a reasonable assessment before having to do it again in the fall."

pr
--
Pete Resnick https://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best