Re: Assessment criteria for decision on in-person/virtual IETF 108

Tim,

On 20 Apr 2020, at 4:23, Tim Chown wrote:

But taking it to the point of expecting any chance of a physical meeting in July this year going ahead seems at best blind optimism. Just cancel it now and ensure we have the best possible online experience instead.

These two things seem completely orthogonal. I do think it is almost unimaginable that the July face-to-face takes place. But there is no downside I can see to waiting to cancel until the middle of May as planned. As has been said in this thread, planning is already underway to make the meeting online, so cancelling now will not make a difference on that front. And I'd rather we go through the process of doing the assessment fully so that when there is a meeting in the future where the decision is less clear, we've gone through a shake-down of the assessment process at least once. If that process determines that we should hold a face-to-face in July, I think it will get some impressive scrutiny.

pr
--
Pete Resnick https://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best