RE: Assessment criteria for decision on in-person/virtual IETF 108

--On Friday, April 17, 2020 16:48 +0000 Ron Bonica
<rbonica=40juniper.net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Also consider that may IETF participants are members of high
> risk populations. Until remote participation offers all the
> benefits as in-person participation, holding an in-person
> meeting during or soon after a pandemic puts those folks at a
> decided disadvantage.

So, following up on this a little bit and from the perspective
of a member of a couple of high-risk populations, if the venue
and locale are assessed as safe, but my getting there requires
sitting on an airplane within a couple of meters of one or more
people who are not clearly virus-free (not just, e.g., able to
pass a walk-through temperature screening) [1] then (i) I'm
putting my life at risk by going and (ii) as Ron sort of
suggests, holding the meeting f2f puts me (and those in similar
positions and those who, even while being at lower risk of
serious problems given infection, are not in a position to risk
infection [2], creates not only a disadvantage but would
constitute discriminatory behavior.

That also relates to the comments about in-country medical
facilities: in addition to whatever concerns exist about the
quality of facilities in various countries, different countries
have different policies about treating visitors to those
countries.  Some consider that an obligation of their national
health systems; others have policies that make access either
impossible or very expensive for at least some travelers from
selected places.   Many companies carry insurance that will
protect their traveling employees and even provide for medical
evacuation expenses if needed, but many don't.  And those
policies are fairly expensive for individuals or very small
companies, at least unless bundled with other arrangements.  If
the evaluation criteria are going to include the quality of
medical care if needed (and I think they should), then they
should also include the accessibility of such care and a
judgment of whether the IETF should either purchase or require
such insurance for those whose companies don't provide it.[3] [4]

I'll save two other concerned for additional notes, one after I
review the report on the survey from IETF 106 again.

Say safe and well, everyone.
   john

[1] Note that the reliability of screening tests (even intrusive
ones) during the period between infection (and potentially being
infectious to others) is still unknown as the the interval
between recovering (i.e., showing neither symptoms nor positive
results from tests) and being able to be re-infected.  Maybe
that may be known by May or June but, right now, both are
uncertain.

[2[ That goes to the recent comments about the risks and
consequences of having to self-quarantine on return for, e.g.,
fear of infecting families.  If we had tests that were highly
reliable (and available) and that would detect the disease
before it became infectious, things might be different, but that
is beyond today's state of the art and knowledge.

[3] If people continue to travel during this period, and a
non-trivial number of those who travel get sick, bring the
disease home, or both, it is probably a safe bet that those
policies are either going to get a lot more expensive or acquire
exceptions for various types of travel or risks.  That could, in
turn, induce even more restrictive corporate travel policies.
I'm uncertain, after reviewing the criteria, if the risks are
going to be adequately considered of  large numbers of people
not being able to attend because either they won't travel
without travel medical insurance that has become prohibitively
expensive or because their companies won't let them for reasons
related to that expense.

[4] As I was writing this, my talent (or affliction) for
thinking about things that could go wrong identified another
interesting question:  suppose, after going through this
assessment process (with or without improvements) the IETF
leadership concludes that holding IETF 108 was safe, schedules
the meeting, and invited people to come.   Suppose it then
turned out to be not-so-safe and a significant number of
attendees were infected, some with serious or even
life-threatening symptoms.  Would the IETF LLC, having decided
and announced that it was safe to attend the meeting, have any
liability to those individuals, their families, and/or their
companies?   Might we be seeing "come at your own risk"
statements in the IETF 109 registration forms?  Requirements for
legally-binding releases?  And how might such provisions affect
either corporate travel policies or insurance provisions?